How to Become a Lawyer in London, England

Are you a lawyer from a foreign jurisdiction looking to practice in London, England? The Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) is a system managed by the Lawyers Regulation Authority (SRA) that allows lawyers from other countries to qualify as lawyers in England and Wales. This system has greatly expanded the number of jurisdictions in which lawyers can cross-qualify, and no longer requires applicants to have two years of experience practicing English or common law. Instead, they must pass a series of evaluations. Many states with cities that act as international commercial and legal centers, such as New York State and California, have developed specific state regulations to more quickly admit lawyers with foreign training to the bar association.

However, if you are a foreign lawyer who wants to re-qualify in England and Wales, the SQE replaces the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Plan (QLTS). If you are already a practicing lawyer in your home jurisdiction and want to work in the United Kingdom, you will need to pass the SQE exams to practice in England and Wales. Alternatively, UK lawyers can become foreign legal consultants, allowing UK lawyers to represent clients in the United States. So, if you work for a London-based American firm, for example, you're likely to earn more than the average London lawyer.

With the right qualifications and experience, you can become a successful lawyer in London.

John Baker
John Baker

Subtly charming music aficionado. Hardcore beer guru. Proud pizza fan. Hipster-friendly beer advocate. Incurable pizza nerd. Typical pop culture expert.

Leave Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *